Wednesday, May 30, 2012

DIY Shoe Rescue



Hubby and I have been having some trouble with critters (we are not sure what they are) in our attic crawl space.   One of the biggest downsides to this problem was that I stored my shoes in that space (It opens to our bedroom).  The critters nibbled on my favorite pair of custom boots, and these shoes.


The boots were done (there was no way to save them, boo), but I thought I might be able to repair these shoes.

I went to work.


First I tore off the old weaving.  With a little start using an x-acto blade, I could basically just tear off the strips of weave.



I then had the shoes all ready for new braids to be added.

I quickly learned how to braid a five strand braid (I wanted it to be a little thicker than a three strand braid) on YouTube.


I then glued the braids to the shoes.



It was as easy as that.


I had some trouble with the edges.  It was hard to get the braid all the way to the edge, and I have to say, I burned my fingers with the super glue quite a few times.  (In fact, I still have some glue on my fingers right now.)

I think from the vantage point of a normal day no one will notice the little trouble I had.

Before

After

For your enjoyment, I have given you one last before and after.  It is quite an improvement.  I can wear them now!

I can't wait to break out my favorite white and yellow dress and my "new" shoes.

What do you think?

2 comments:

  1. like new! and i'm intrigued by your custom boots, i've never had any custom shoes before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your project turned out beautiful!! It is just like a new one!

    ReplyDelete

Make me smile and leave a comment!

 
Blog Design by A Mommy's Blog Design (© Copyright 2011)