Saturday, September 17, 2011

Renaissance Fun


Jeff and I just had the nicest day.  We went to the New York Renaissance Faire in Tuxedo, NY.

{source}
If you have never been to a Renaissance Faire (that's how they spell it) then you must go to one. They are so much fun.  This one is especially great and had lost of good shops, rides, shows and food.  Jeff and I had a blast.

I didn't bring my camera with me, so all these shots are from their website, but boy was it amazing.  People get dressed up in costume (ok so did I) and they talk all funny and generally it is just a good time to be had.  It is like stepping into another time and spending the afternoon there.

When I was in my late teens all I wanted was a cape.  So while living in India I procured some purple wool from Nepal (my mother brought it back from a trip she took), and red silk and made a purple and red cape with lots of pockets inside.  To this day when ever I go to a Ren fare (as they are called by slang) I like to wear my cape.  In truth, I have only been to two official Renaissance Faires but I did wear my nice cape this time. Some of the people working there called it a cloak which I just loved.  I also wear this cloak every Halloween and for the Beltane Festival (a crazy pagan festival I like to attend every year).  In the end I really have gotten a lot of use out of my cloak.

Along with my cloak I had a full red leather  skirt and a little white top, but what was missing was a nice corset to go with it.  So in the last hour we were there I bought one.  Let me just say that it was expensive enough that I don't really want to tell you how much it was, but it was worth ever hour of work I will have to put in the pay for it.  It looks amazing, it cinches my waist and puts all my bits in just the right place.  Now I just hope I really do throw that Halloween party so I can wear it again.

Next Jeff wants me to make him a cloak and maybe a robe as well.  He wants to be a wizard for Halloween, and he bought the staff and wand already.

{source}
But back to the faire... I missed the maypole :(  It was too bad, I love that, but I'm not a maiden anymore so I guess it does not matter.  We did see some great shows, although we were really bad about finding them and getting in the front.  We just watched whatever we stumbled upon.

{source}
There was an acrobat that was quite impressive and I gave a tip to the harp player, she was amazing.  I love the sound of the harp.

{source}
All the kids I saw seemed to be having fun.  They had lost of activities for them.

{source}
I saw the cutest hats that looked like flowers that would be just adorable for a little girl.  they looked like they came right out of the flower faerie pictures I have on my calendar  

Overall Jeff and I had a fabulous time.  What fun to dress up and pretend to be in another world.  Have you ever been to a ran fair?  Tell me all about it.

1 comment:

  1. i LOVE the ren faire! i've only been to the PA one, and we used to go all the time. haven't been in a few years b/c it's still too hot to parade around outside. i think it's great that you got a corset, hopefully you'll get as much use as you do your cloak.

    i always wear my twiney head wreath thing. mine is for fall, it has little leaves. oh man. i love that thing. if the cat would leave it alone, i'd put it out with my fall decor.

    ReplyDelete

Make me smile and leave a comment!

 
Blog Design by A Mommy's Blog Design (© Copyright 2011)