Saturday, September 3, 2011

Effects of Irene on Phoenicia


Good News: we have our power and internet back.  Jeff and I are quite excited about that.  Six days without power is a long time to go.  The first couple were the worst, then my neighbor brought in a little generator and we had some lights for some of the night.

But now that we have our power back Jeff and I took a walk down the road to show you why we had no power for so long.  Here's what we saw:


Half the road was washed out.  The day after Irene, the water was over the road, now it has receded a lot.

Here's another shot so you can see just how bad it was.


See the wires going right through the stream?  That was out power lines.  Somehow it was all just too much to take pictures while it was happening, after we had our power restored I felt I had the perspective to show you all.  We lost three poles in the stream, three poles that had to be replaced and rewired.

You can see the top of one of the poles in this shot (sorry it is dark, we just took a walk in the evening to get these).

Walking back from the washed out road the very next house had this sign:


The house sure is streamside, so close it was almost washed away.  But of course that will all be forgotten soon enough.  

So there you have it, the effects of the lovely Irene on my little town of Phoenicia.

How did the rest of my readers on the East Coast fare from the hurricane?

1 comment:

  1. Ouch. I'm sorry to hear that you guys got hit so bad with that hurricane!! So devastating! We were very fortunate & thankful that it missed us! I hope it didn't do much damage to your property!

    ReplyDelete

Make me smile and leave a comment!

 
Blog Design by A Mommy's Blog Design (© Copyright 2011)